Friday, March 23, 2012

Placeholder: Capitalism Lives On; My Bank Account Cries

Faux Ice Cream Cake
Time for a placeholder post while I continue to wrap up (postpone working on, in other words) another long Turkish Travelogue. What you'll get is a hodgepodge of things that I've ate (obvious from the photo above), things I've bought (not so obvious), and what I think about them.


That green and white thing above is a sort of maccha cream cake I had in the office, bought from The Loaf bakery in KL- the Japanese bakery brought in by the former PM (the fourth one). Whatever you think about that guy, at least he has good taste buds when it comes to bread and pastries. The cream had actually hardened somewhat after the cake was placed in the fridge- I actually  thought it was ice cream.
Fu Chuk Yi Mai 
I should probably stop taking portrait photos in widescreen format. Maybe it's just me, but this shot looks longer than any of my previous portraits. This here's a drink of Fu Chuk Yi Mai (Bean-curd Barley). Quite interesting, but hard to suck up with the small straw they gave. Took this photo on my first official company visit.
A modest haul.
My modest haul from the recent second-hand charity (for last year's tsunami) book sale at the Japan Club Kuala Lumpur (JCKL), which is normally closed to non-Japanese. I'd hoped to get a lot more, and had actually withdrawn a sizeable sum of moolah, but didn't get to spend it all since there wasn't many titles that caught my fancy. I was hoping to find Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and School Rumble manga, but no luck there.
Kochikame
Volume 4 of the ridiculously long-titled Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kouen-mae Hashutsujo ("This is the Police Station in front of Kameari Park in Katsushika Ward", normally shortened to Kochikame). I've seen the main character in games like Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars, but never bothered to learn more about the series. Having read most of it, I can safely say it's pretty good- a nice mix of insanity and normalcy, though you'd be forgiven for wondering why Japanese police seem to have no real police work to do after reading it (tip: it's fiction).
Lupin the Third
Two volumes of Lupin the Third. Volume 2 on the left actually had me wondering if I should place an adult tag or warning sign of some sort to scare off the prudes, but what the heck. If you can look at a nude bust of Venus de Milo in the Louvre, what's wrong with looking at a monochrome picture of a topless woman and a rather monkey-like thief. The manga is nothing like the family-friendly movies: every other chapter features Lupin or some other member of the male cast having his way with a lady (with or without their consent), and oh, Lupin actually does kill people here.
Ayako
Ayako by Tezuka Osamu, though most non-Japanese continue to think of him as Osamu Tezuka (I have to admit that it's easier to pronounce that way). I haven't read it yet, but it's supposedly about a girl born into a depraved rich family- remember the German guy, Fritzl or something, who raped his daughter and locked her and their children in a basement for years? Ayako is something like that. Deep, serious stuff which I'll leave for later.
Hamabe no Kafka
Hamabe no Kafka (Kafka on the Shore) by Murakami Haruki. The only novels I bought. I was actually hoping to find his other books, like the recent 1Q84, or his short-story anthologies. I've already read the English version of Kafka, but I thought I'd give it a try to see how the original differs from the translation.
Golgo 1/2
An issue of Ranma 1/2 and Golgo 13. Nothing much to say about these two- this volume of Ranma features the ice-skating fight with Sanzenin Mikado and Shiratori Azusa, and Shampoo's debut. Golgo 13 has the usual Golgo action (if you're not familiar with Golgo, think James Bond, without any nonsense about martinis or suits- or 'justice', either), with one interesting point: Golgo's encounter with none other than Mother Theresa herself.
20th Century Mushishi
20th Century Boys Special, and volume 1 of Mushishi. I knew nothing about 20th Century, but grabbed it anyway since it was a stand-alone (presumably), and the art looked nice. I actually bought volume 2 of Mushishi as well, by accident- completely forgetting that I already had it (from my last trip to Singapore). Reading Mushishi might actually be quite a chore- since I've already watched the anime, and the art quality in volume 1 is terrible compared to the beauty in volume 2.
Sony Xperia S
And finally, my biggest single purchase ever, the newly released Sony Xperia S, which I used to take these photos. It's the main reason I won't be getting my hands on the fancy camera in my shopping list at the bottom of this blog anytime soon, or most of the other items, for that matter (won't someone give me a MG Rezel? No? Aw shucks).

Well, enough of that. Back to work on the Turks I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment